Friday, February 17, 2012

My Identity

Recently it became abundantly clear to me that I do not find my identity in Christ... this is a gigantic problem, because I seek to find my identity in other things, in things that don't and can't fulfill, satisfy, or define me. I put more pressure on my relationships because I am expecting them to give me worth, I expect more from my job, and even ministry because I am trying to find my worth in it, instead of in the Lord. This my friends, is a recipe for disaster. I'm coming to the conclusion that the ministries that I'm a part of will be more effective when I treat it as an opportunity to serve and share the love of God, instead of an opportunity for me to be affirmed. My job will feel less pointless when I view it as the place God has me right now, and a practical way to make money instead of a source of meaning in my life. My relationships will be more free and filled with love when I look to Jesus to give me identity instead of the way my friends and loved ones feel about me. Overall life will just be better when my identity is not dependent on people... but instead dependent on the one who never changes. The one who made me with a plan and purpose in mind. The one who overwhelms me with love and grace. The one who convicts me in gentleness, but never condemns me. I am a daughter of the creator of the world, and He loves me the same yesterday, today and tomorrow... and really nothing else needs to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment